Yet, if he likes a meal and I’m not too crazy about it, I don’t include it on this site. I feel bad about this, but it stops today. This week I made Jamie Oliver’s Broccoli Drizzled with Indian-Spiced Yogurt. I liked it okay. He loved it. Thus, here goes.
But first, a few notes:
Note #1: I only made a third of the suggested recipe because I was cooking for two. Measurements for the whole shebang can be found through the link.
Note #2: I changed the yogurt into low-fat yogurt, and it worked great.
Note #3: My spices came from the Turkish place around the corner, which is why they’re wicked cheap.
Broccoli Drizzled with Indian-Spiced Yogurt
Makes 2 side servings
Adapted from Jamie Oliver.
10 oz broccoli crowns (about 2 small), broken into florets
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 tsp each: cumin seeds, fennel seeds
Seeds from 2 cardamom pods
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
Zest and juice of 1/3 lemon
Kosher salt and black pepper
1) Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli and boil for 4 minutes or so. Drain very well. (A salad spinner might come in handy here.)
2) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli. Cook about 5 minutes, until veggies are "lightly charred," stirring occasionally. Move to a plate.
3) While broccoli is cooking, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin, fennel, and cardamom and toast "until browned and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes." Grind, using a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or coffee grinder.
4) Add 3/4 cumin mixture, all the lemon juice, and all the lemon zest to yogurt. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
5) Drizzle yogurt mixture over broccoli. Garnish with the last 1/4 of the cumin mixture.
Approximate Calories, Fat, and Price per Serving
92 calories, 3.6 g fat, $0.71
10 oz broccoli crowns (about 2 small), broken into florets: 80 calories, 1 g fat, $0.66
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil: 39 calories, 4.5 g fat, $0.03
2/3 tsp each: cumin seeds, fennel seeds: 10 calories, 0.5 g fat, $0.20
Seeds from 2 cardamom pods: negligible calories and fat, $0.10
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt: 51 calories, 1.3 g fat, $0.23
Zest and juice of 1/3 lemon: 4 calories, 0 g fat, $0.17
Kosher salt and black pepper: negligible calories and fat, $0.02
TOTAL: 184 calories, 7.3 g fat, $1.41
PER SERVING (TOTAL/2): 92 calories, 3.6 g fat, $0.71