Friday, March 14, 2008

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar

Reactions on trying All Recipes’ Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar for the first time:

Bite 1: (*chews slowly, thoughtfully*) Uh huh. Uh huh. (*swallows*) Hm. Nothing … nothing … what’s going on here? All the reviews said this would be an insane new … YEOW! THERE it is. What kind of bizarro Twilight Zone tang IS that? My tongue! What’s happening to my TONGUE?

Bite 4: Okay, the crazypants epiglottal sensation has died down a bit, but I still can’t place this flavor. It’s sweet? It’s savory? I guess? Can I get some help here?

Bite 7: All right, all right. I’m getting this. Balsamic vinegar and strawberries … they’re Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford. One’s a sassy, be-afro’ed New Yorker and the other’s a tragically handsome Midwesterner. You’re not really sure they’ll work together at first, but they do, and it’s a beautiful thing. Then she sings and they break up, and you cry a little, but it’s all good in the end, because she’s found herself and everybody’s okay.

(That metaphor went off the rails somewhere.)

Bite 10: Wow. This is really luscious. I think this might replace strawberries and chocolate as my new favorite strawberry-related pairing. Who thought this up? Was it a chef? Some nice lady in Utah? Maybe it was accidental, like the dude who lucked on to vulcanized rubber? Whatever. I need to write a thank you note.

Bite 13: Holy moly. That was delicious. (*glances around nervously to see if anyone’s watching*) Hey roommates! Are you home? Anyone? Okay. (*raises bowl to mouth, furiously licks it clean*) Ahhh … yeah, that did it. I’ll be sleeping soundly, dreaming of various fruit/vinegar pairings if anyone needs me.

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar
6 servings if used as topping
4 servings if standing as dessert alone
Adapted from All Recipes.

16 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and large berries cut in half
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste

1) In a small bowl, gently combine strawberries, vinegar, and sugar. Cover. Do not put in fridge. Instead, "let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour but not more than 4 hours." Sprinkle pepper over berries and serve immediately. Vanilla ice cream, angel food cake, or pound cake make good partners.

Approximate Calories, Price, and Fat Per Serving
6 servings (as topping): 55 calories, 0.2 g fat, $0.29
4 servings (as dessert): 83 calories, 0.3 g fat, $0.43

Calculations
16 ounces fresh strawberries: 145 calories, 1.4. g fat, $1.50
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar: 20 calories, 0 g fat, $0.15
1/4 cup white sugar: 186 calories, 0 g fat, $0.08
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste: negligible calories and fat, $0.01
TOTAL: 331 calories, 1.4 g fat, $1.74
PER SERVING (TOTAL/6): 55 calories, 0.2 g fat, $0.29
PER SERVING (TOTAL/4): 83 calories, 0.3 g fat, $0.4

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Where the heck do you get $1.50 strawberries?

Kris said...

They were on sale this week at Key Food - 2/$3. I'm thinking they might have fallen off the back of a truck, but hey - it works.

GinnyBerry said...

I absolutely love strawberries with balsamic vinegar! I don't use any sugar at all when I prepare mine. Next time I'll try the pepper.

You've inspired me to see if my local grocery store has fresh ripe strawberries!

Thanks!

Julia said...

Have you tried adding basil to that? I saw it on a cooking show and it sparked my curiosity. Also, I've heard strawberries dipped in freshly ground black pepper is amazing. Is summer here yet?

English Major said...

You might want to try reducing the vinegar quickly before macerating the berries--I think it's even yummier that way.