Monday, June 29, 2009

CHG Turns 2: The Year's Top Ten Recipes

You guys! So many things going on today.

1. Last night, I received a KitchenAid stand mixer. For free. From my Mother-in-Law-Elect. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to joining this family.

2. Also last night: bananas, stuffed with chocolate, wrapped in foil, and grilled. I now have proof that Heaven is a place on Earth. (Thank you for the heads up, Belinda Carlisle.)

3. It’s CHG’s two year anniversary (er, as mentioned in the title)! Thank yous are in order to all you lovely readers, as well as Veggie Might’s Leigh, Jaime of City Kitchen Chronicles, and our frequent contributor, Rachel. Also, a huge shout out to all the blogs that’ve supported us for the last two years, including (but not limited to) MSN Smart Spending, Get Rich Slowly, The Simple Dollar, Money Saving Mom, Like Merchant Ships, Healthy Eats, Serious Eats, Casual Kitchen, Kalyn’s Kitchen, Thirty a Week, City Mama, A Good American Wife, Chief Family Officer, Mom Advice, and more…

I'm thrilled to helm CHG, and am warm fuzzified that so many people seem to like us. There will be plenty of giveaways this week to celebrate. But in the meantime, we proudly present our best recipes of the last 364 days. Behold, in alphabetical order:

Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Cooking Light
Best. Eggplant dish. To ever appear. On the blog. And that’s saying a LOT.

Chipotle Pork Tenders
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
This could be CHG's manliest recipe, which isn't to say that folks of all genders won't flip their lids, as well. Excellent on burritos, to boot.

Nathan's Lemon Cake
Adapted from Cooking Light
You say it’s cake you want? Keep looking. This piece is mine.

Pasta Puttanesca
Adapted from Rachael Ray
We give thanks to Western New York for many things, including beef on weck, a consistently decent hockey team, and our state’s alfalfa supply. But mostly this Rachael Ray dish.

Pumpkin Orzo with Sage
Created by Leigh
Imagine a world where risottos were wildly flavorful, but contained negligible fat. I bet this is served there.

Sublime Fruit Salad
Adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis
The picture is worth a thousand … mmms. The actual salad will ruin all other salads for you.

Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
Adapted from my Ma
My favorite Thanksgiving food, and second favorite overall, after macaroni and cheese. Ma gave me more than good genes.

Tomato Bread Soup
Adapted from Serious Eats
It’s better than any other tomato soup you’ve ever had. Not kidding

.Tunisian-Style Greens and Beans
Adapted from the International Vegetarian Union
Never has something this healthy and green been so tasty. I could eat this for weeks.

White Chicken Chili
Adapted from Recipe Zaar & Simply Recipes
The motherlode.

Honorable Mentions: American Chop Suey, Autumn Apple Salad, Avocado Chicken Salad, Black Bean Burrito Bake, Easy Vegetarian Bean Chili, Indonesian Bean Stew, Kale with Mushrooms and Polenta, Mojitos, Peach-Blueberry Cobbler, Plums with Orange and Mint, Polenta Pudding with Blueberry Topping, Shaksouka, Spinach Rice Casserole, Tzatziki

Again, thank you so much for all your support and kind words, and be on the lookout for celebratory giveaways. They're gonna be sweet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations, and thanks for being around!

Money Maus said...

YAY! Congrats!

Your recipes are awesome. The few that I have tried are fantastic. Must. Keep. Cooking. (Cheaply!)

Love the blog. And your humor. Don't stop cooking OR writing! :)

Chief Family Officer said...

Happy anniversary, CHG!!! Kris, you've done amazing things here :)

BTW, try adding some mini-marshmallows along with the chocolate chips in the banana next time - I think I got the idea from Martha Stewart, it was great!

Karen said...

Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary! Also, you are going to LOVE that KitchenAid mixer. Bread baking here you come!

Amy said...

I can't remember how I stumbled across your blog, but it is fabulous. I don't even have it on my Google Reader because I know I'll check it daily, regardless.

This is one of my favorite blogs--thanks for the fab recipes!

Kalyn said...

Happy two year anniversary! Looking forward to many more posts from you guys!

Anne said...

Congrats and happy anniversary! Love the blog.

I second the addition of marshmallows to banana boats (as we called them when I was a kid).

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

Congrats on two years!

Molly B. said...

Congratulations! This is a great blog, and I'm glad you keep doing it.

Re: Western New York--Don't forget the apples! And Wegmans! WNY is a great place for people who like food. Which does not explain why I've gained 10 pounds since I moved away. Sigh.

Kris said...

Thank you so much, you guys. Y'all are the best.

And Molly ... OH MY GOD HOW COULD I FORGET WEGMANS? Seriously, it's the best. All other grocery stores are amateurs in comparison.

Char said...

White Chicken Chili is one of my faves!!

WOW! You got one for free?? those are pricey..good deal! Thanks for posting these recipes!

-char

Daniel said...

Happy anniversary Kris--and here's to many, many more!! Keep up the great work.

Dan
Casual Kitchen

Elizah said...

I don't know where to begin -- all of these recipes sound so fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration! I just entered an online recipe contest via www.greenwala.com (a green social network) because they're offering a $250 gift card to Whole Foods, but now after seeing this tantalizing collection, my entry paled in comparison. I wish I could get a do-over and...ahem...borrow one of these!

MCM Voices said...

Kris, happy anniversary - and thank-you so much for the year in review. I made the Chipotle Pork Tenders last night & they seriously rocked.

Leigh said...

Happy anniversary, honey.

KimboSue said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! I just started reading you and I love it! The recipes and the humor - what a great combo. Also, I would L.O.V.E. the recipe/instructions on the bananas/chocolate/foil thingy you kinda mentioned here? I am not a lover of bananas but am obsessed with chocolate and if one makes me eat the other, well then...

Shannon said...

This is the best recipe site on the whole interweb. The curried beans are my all time favorite. I make it at least once a week. Sometimes I eat it over brown rice and sometimes I just eat it.

My second favorite is the spaghetti squash puttanesca. Even when I don't have the spaghetti squash I can whip up the sauce and throw it on some whole wheat noodles. Yum-may.

I've been unemployed for almost six months now so this site has really been a lifesaver. Thank you!