A few weeks ago, Ask the Internet featured a question from an unassuming food blogger about what kind beer to serve at her wedding. Readers offered a ton of good suggestions, and the food blogger, a procrastinator of the highest order, finally held the tasting over the weekend. She also stopped talking in third person at the end of this paragraph.
You guys, it was great! Here’s how it went down:
- After the comments and Facebook votes were tallied, our final four beers were Brooklyn Lager, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada, and Smithwick’s.
- Fat Tire, Shiner Bock, and Bell’s all received multiple votes, but none are available in New York. (And according to the beer guy won’t be until: 2011, “a few years,” and “never,” respectively.)
- Five people participated: me, the Husband-Elect, Ma, my sister, and her manfriend T.
- We rated each beer on a 1 to 10 scale.
- I was the only person who knew which beer was which.
Label: Brooklyn Lager
Comments: “Not so good,” “not a favorite,” “I’m not crazy about ales,” “hoppy and bitter,” “Filling – I could probably only have two of these before I was too full for pie,”
Label: Magic Hat
Comments: Far and away Ma’s favorite, but unexpectedly unpopular with the other tasters: “tastes like soup,” “smells funny,” “This beer is the new paisley.”
Label: Sierra Nevada
Comments: “drinkable, but not my favorite,” “easy to drink,” “a lot like the first one – maybe slightly better,” “an aftertaste,” “Is this Blue Moon? Because it tastes like Blue Moon.”
Comments: “deep and nut browny,” “light, smoky, creamy,” “good and a little bitter, like me,” and from my sister, “normal” (note: this is the highest compliment she can give a food or beverage.)
Meaning, after all was said and done, the winner was…
Want to ask the interweb a question? Post one in the comment section, or write to Cheaphealthygood@gmail.com. Then, tune in next Tuesday for an answer/several answers from the good people of the World Wide Net.