Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ask the Internet: Three Food Choices - a Hypothetical Question

This week, it’s a hypothetical question that came up during a lovely, bacon-soaked Valentine’s brunch.

Q: You can only eat three dishes for the rest of your life. They’re dishes, not single foods; this means you can choose bananas, but you can also opt for Spaghetti Bolognese. You must consider proper nutrition. Side dishes are not allowed. Which three do you choose?

A: This took both of us (me and Husband-Elect) a surprisingly long time to answer. If we were just choosing our favorite foods, it would have been easy, but the nutritional aspect is such a killer. After much discussion, we finally came up with:

Husband-Elect: vegetarian burrito, bean chili, and fruit salad.
Me: vegetable stir-fry over rice, chicken fajitas, and Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing.

Leaving out macaroni & cheese was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, and that includes that time I burnt all my fingers at Wendy’s and kept working the register.

Readers, how ‘bout you? Three dishes from here TO ETERNITY.

Want to ask the interweb a question? Post one in the comment section, or write to Cheaphealthygood@gmail.com. Then, tune in next Tuesday for an answer/several answers from the good people of the World Wide Net.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


kd said...

Homemade baked ziti:


Chicken salad from North End Cafe in Louisville KY

Pixi Rae said...

- Oatmeal with fruit, brown sugar, and milk.
- A chunky chicken and vegetable stir fry (or a chunky cobb salad, I'm not sure which).
- Ice cream with chocolate and strawberries.

I can't manage a diet when I can't have ice cream, so there's no way I'd be able to give it up for the rest of my life.

Annie Jones said...

Loaded burrito (meat, cheese, beans, lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream, etc.)

Loaded pizza (say ham or turkey sausage, cheese, lots of veggie toppings)

Cheesburger soup (with lots of veggies, of course) in a bread bowl

Annie Jones said...

Also subscribing to comments.

Joy www.thelaughingmoonnyc.com said...

Oh boy, this may be the toughest question ever, other than having to decide which of your two children gets to live. I would think. I don't have any children.

1.Pizza with garlic,spinach and tomato
2. (I'm with Pixi Rae) Ice cream with bits of chocolate and candy, swirls of caramel and chocolate, and of course, chocolate.
3. salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, capers, carrots, cashews, feta, olives,vinaigrette, scallions and dried cranberries.

challenges2010 said...

Chili, my morning smoothies and loaded burritos.....may not want to be in same room too often....toot toot toooooot :-)

Emily said...

1. Beef Stew
2. Domino's thin cruse Pacific Veggie Pizza
3. watermelon

dyan f. said...

Pesto, italian sausage, tomato and mozzerella omlette.

Pizza (cheese and mushroom)

Cobb salad (heavy on the avocado)

Michelle said...

1. Lentil & Rice Soft Tacos with Onion, Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese, and Sour cream on whole wheat tortillas (One of my favorite meals)

2. Chicken Pot Pie

3. Orange Chicken stir-fry over lo mein noodles

lateraleating said...

I agree, this is a tough question to answer! My three choices would be:
- oatmeal porridge with bananas and blueberries.
- kamut or other wholegrain pasta with puttanesca sauce.
- lentil soup topped with parmesan cheese, some herbs and a slice of sourdough toast.

ScienceandtheCity said...

This is an un-possible task! That said, I guess if I had to pick, it would be:

- Sushi deluxe (like, the assortment of sushi you get as dinner at a sushi place - I guess that counts as a dish?)
- Loaded beef burrito (with avocado!)
- Pasta primavera (with lots of veggies and white wine/garlic sauce)

Although I think I would die if I could never eat an egg again. Or pizza. Or peaches.

Anonymous said...

I don't think i would care if i lived long(er) only able to eat three things. Have to say I've always sucked at the "you're stranded on a deserted island" what if questions.

German Chocolate Cake
My momma's Fried Chicken (i've tried to replicate it, it just isn't the same)
Velveeta Macaroni & Cheese

wosnes said...

1. Potato soup

2. Chicken with dumplings

3. Spinach salad with grapefruit and avocado

I can't believe I didn't put shrimp or lobster in there!

Anonymous said...

1. An amazing fruit salad, with bananas, mangos, pineapple, grapes, strawberries, blueberries.

2. Big hearty vegetable soup in a bread bowl.

3. Chicken-shrimp veggie stir-fry on brown rice.

If I really had to choose between ice cream and fruit, I would have to pick fruit. But I know I would be kicking myself around the block after about 2 weeks!

Evelyn said...

1. Deep-dish pizza with spinach, cheese, and tomato sauce. Whole wheat crust to make sure I was getting some fiber.

2. Sauteed greens with coarse salt and toasted sesame oil. (Kale if I had to choose one green for all eternity, but I'd vary it if allowed.)

3. Dark chocolate.

I think the pizza would give me the calories I need, and kale is my favorite vegetable (and full of good vitamins and minerals). I was going to have grapefruit and avocado salad be my last one, but I don't think I could go without dark chocolate for all eternity.

Mandy's Life After 30 said...

Such a hard choice! But I think I'll go with:
(1) Taco Soup
(2) Pizza, homemade kind
(3) Pancakes, choc. chip banana

Lynn @LynnATL said...

Great question! This is hard. . .

1) Taco salad:

2) Mixed Green Salad with Pecans, Goat Cheese, and Dried Cranberries:

3)Pad Thai

And I'm hoping some of the ingredients would be around to nibble on...there are so many dishes and items I'd miss!

Thanks for asking.