Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The $25 Food Project: Day 7

I’m attempting to feed my 6-foot, 205-pound fiancé for one week for $25. This is our story.

Folks, we’re done. Wrapped. Fini. If this experiment was The Beatles, today is Let it Be. (Or Abbey Road, depending on what country you occupy.) We’re mostly pretty triumphant, and came in a penny under the $25, which I will now frame and hang in the shower.

There’s a ton coming tomorrow - conclusions, a shopping list, an exit interview – so we’re gonna cut straight to the numbers and a few notes tonight. Hope they’re informative, and we’ll see y’all soon!

DAY 7 TOTALS: 2575 calories, 98.3 g fat, 43 g fiber, $3.72

2 servings Maple Morning Polenta: 516 calories, 9.2 g fat, 8.2 g fiber, $0.63
1 banana: 121 calories, 0.4 g fat, 3.5 g fiber, $0.23
TOTALS: 637 calories, 9.6 g fat, 11.7 g fiber, $0.86
PREP TIME: 10 minutes

1 serving Traditional Mashed Potatoes (skim milk): 250 calories, 9 g fat, 3.7 g fiber, $0.17
1/2 serving Easy Vegetarian Bean Chili: 122 calories, 3.3 g fat, 4.6 g fiber, $0.35
2/3 cup mixed baby greens: 5 calories, 0 g fat, 1 g fiber, $0.20
1/2 tablespoon olive oil: 60 calories, 6.7 g fat, 0 g fiber, $0.06
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar: 0 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, $0.01
2 ounces chicken breast: 62 calories, 6.8 g fat, 0 g fiber, $0.21
3 Snickerdoodles: 450 calories, 20.4 g fat, 1.5 g fiber, $0.30
TOTALS: 949 calories, 46.2 g fat, 10.8 g fiber, $1.30
PREP TIME: Made most of it during breakfast, plus 5 minutes

3 jumbo eggs: 287 calories, 19.3 g fat, 0 g fiber, $0.63
1 medium potato (5,7 oz): 157 calories, 0.2 g fat, 3.7 g fiber, $0.11
1 tablespoon veggie oil: 124 calories, 14 g fat, 0 g fiber, $0.09
1/3 onion, minced: 15 calories, 0 g fat, 0.5 g fiber, $0.10
1/2 cup spinach: 15 calories, 0 g fat, 0.5 g fiber, $0.10
1 banana: 121 calories, 0.4 g fat, 3.5 g fiber, $0.23
TOTAL: 719 calories, 33.9 g fat, 8.2 g fiber, $1.26
PREP TIME: About 30 minutes

2 servings Roasted Chickpeas: 270 calories, 8.6 g fat, 12.3 g fiber, $0.30
TOTALS: 270 calories, 8.6 g fat, 12.3 g fiber, $0.30
PREP TIME: 35 minutes, mostly roasting

  • Dinner was a spinach frittata, home fries, and a banana. I loves me some frittatas because they’re easy and look good. Which is also how I like my men. (HAHAHAHA sorry.)
  • He’s a big fan of breakfast in general, but the Maple Morning Polenta was a real hit with the Husband-Elect. I don’t know if it’s the taste or his love affair with corn products, but I’ll take it.
  • I finally kicked the Chili tonight. Henceforth, it will be called Infinity Chili.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Nancy said...

and here i've always liked frittata's because they're easy and forgiving (as in it doesn't matter what you put in 'em). i like your saying of easy and look good better though :0)

can't wait to see what's coming tomorrow.

Paul said...

Ok so I've been following all week, and with regards to the grazing, wouldn't it be better to block out some snacks in both the $/calorie budgets and let the Husband Elect pick a couple of Snickerdoodles, Banana Bread Muffin/Miniloaf.

If he wasn't so full all the time I'd say popcorn or some other really filling snack too.

Did you plan the week out the way it ended up? Did you think of the Chili as a make it Day 1 and find two more ways to serve it by Day 7 dish? Chili Breakfast Potatoes, Chili topped Baked potato, Nachos?

I'm just wondering because you had it 3 times (D1, D6, D7) but always as Chili.

Kris said...

Nancy - right? You can murder those guys, and they're still delicious.

Paul - I regimented his diet pretty strictly to make sure he hit the caloric minimum each day. It didn't leave much space for snacking, which was a bummer. If I did it again, I think I'd plan it slightly differently.

Regarding the chili, it did end up by itself, on rice, and with mashed potatoes, but I see what you're saying. I wished I had slipped it in to some eggs at some point. Maybe next year...

Kathryn said...

Contragulations on reaching your goal! To feed a grown man for $25 for a week quite an accomplishment.

Mandy's Life After 30 said...

I tried making a frittata once - it didn't go so well. Yours looks delicious though.

Congrats on a successful project week! I may try something like this in the future for my family.

I probably would've been doing very similar choices to what you did. Maybe "Sloppy Joes" could work in place of the Chili next time. I sneak shredded carrots and lots of bell peppers into mine.

I'm also really into sneaking veggies and proteins into my homemade muffins and baked goods -- like pureed yellow squash into blueberry muffins or oats and wheat germ into breads. I realize that may make your $25 go up though.... but it does make for a much more filling snack/meal. When I make pancakes, I throw so much protein in them, that I can only eat one!!!

wosnes said...

I love fritatta or anything that resembles it in any way. It's a staple in my diet.

About the chili...A few weeks ago I was thinking about all the things I can do with chili. Aside from the obvious bowl of chili, there's the corn pone chili; chili topped with hash browns and cheese and baked; chili on a baked potato; chili on rice or pasta (think Cincinnati chili); rice or pasta in chili; chili on salad greens for a taco salad. There's probably more that I'm not thinking about now.

Jen said...

Wow! Very impressive...you're an inspiration. ;)

Rebecca said...

Wow. Congratulations on attaining your goals. I am very impressed and inspired to try something similar.