Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ask the Internet: Favorite Smoothie Recipes?

This week’s Ask the Internet is brought to you by yogurt, bananas, and the letters S, M, O, O, T, H, I, and E.

Q: Our kitchen awash in summer fruit. Berries have arrived with a vengeance, and stone fruits are just starting to trickle on to our shelves. I’d love to smoothie-fy some of these guys, but don’t have that much experience in the field of blended yogurt drinks.

Readers, what are your favorite smoothie recipes? I’d love some that use said fruits, but will gladly make anything. Grazie!

A: This one’s from me, so it’s all up to y'all today. Fire away (puree away?) in the comment section. And thank you!

Want to ask the interweb a question? Post one in the comment section, or write to Cheaphealthygood@gmail.com. Then, tune in next Tuesday for an answer/several answers from the good people of the World Wide Net.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Caitlin said...

The best of all the "Green Monster" concoctions: the chocolate-cherry bomb!

- 1 cup coconut milk (or regular milk)
- 2 tbsp organic cocoa powder
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1 cup frozen cherries, pitted and halved
- 6 ice cubes

Place in blender in that order and mix :)

Michelle said...

although I vary the recipes, I have one principle - I don't use ice cubes. I keep on hand frozen goodies to toss in instead, and avoid dilution - a frozen banana or even some tiny cups of yogurt I threw into the freezer.

erinforse said...

Peanutty Banana--
1 c. vanilla yogurt
1 banana
1 to 2 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tbsp. wheat germ
1 tbsp. Nutella
blend up and drink!

I also do one with berries and peaches or nectarines-

1 peach/nectarine, cut into chunks
1 handful raspberries
2-4 strawberries, depending on size
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp. wheat germ
blend and drink

The fiance loves the berry one, so I usually will double it and we'll have that for a late breakfast on weekends.
And if I haven't used any frozen fruit, I add 1 or 2 ice cubes, but usually the fruit is frozen.

Alison said...

My favorite smoothie is the one my husband made me yesterday after a 4-hour dentist appointment:

peanut butter, chocolate syrup, vanilla ice cream, and frozen bananas. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

2 ripe peaches, peeled and pitted
2 scoops of raspberry sherbet
enough OJ to get the blender to move

Kelly said...

I second the 'chocolate cherry bomb' smoothie!

For the base, I use (per serving)-
1/4 cup chocolate soy milk
15 frozen cherries
1/2 frozen banana

And then add in small amounts of other ingredients such as..
greek yogurt
flax seed

It's soo good!

Liz Tee said...

By weight:
- 8 oz frozen berries
- 4 oz frozen mango chunks (or peaches)
- 4 oz frozen banana, sliced
Add 1 cup milk/dairy of choice. I use unsweetened almond milk.

Sometimes I through in some steamed kale.

This is one of our standard breakfasts and it's sweet enough that my son will drink it without added sugar.

Suze said...

My husband,Michael, is the master smoothie maker in our house. I don't know the proportions but he makes enough for 2 12oz. glasses.
butter milk - low fat
plain yogurt
vanilla extract - the real stuff
fruit of choice - best frozen or at least one frozen banana plus other non frozen fruit
Hope you like this. He swears buy the butter milk.
Happy blending -S

Chris said...

I go for speed and simplicity:

- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup of ice cubes/water (fill cup with ice, then top off with water)
- 1 banana (if frozen, reduce ice)
- 1 cup or so of fresh mango, fresh berries, peaches, or frozen berries (if all fruit is frozen, omit any ice)
- dash of vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tsp of sugar (or other sweetener) if the fruit is tart

We buy bunches of bananas and any that start turning too brown to eat, we peel and freeze in snack sized ziplocs for each smoothie making.

My overall favorite combo is mango, banana, and blueberry. It will be purple and have lots of seeds.

Karen said...

I ♥ smoothies and make lots of different ones. I usually start with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt. I add some frozen fruit (whatever I feel like), a shot of lemon juice, and a shot of agave nectar or honey. That's my general formula.

A variation I'm in love with right now: yogurt, tart cherry juice, frozen tart cherries, frozen peaches, and agave nectar.

Milehimama said...

I don't have a favorite recipe - anything with frozen fruit and orange juice!

I wanted to pass along a tip, though. When making smoothies, add the liquid FIRST, then the other stuff. It'll blend faster and is easier on the motor.

And here's no so healthy recipe for a frappucino:
coffee icecubes (freeze your leftover morning brew)
canned sweetened condensed milk
Squirt chocolate syrup

Emily @ Relishments said...

My husband is usually in charge of the smoothie making duties and he keeps it simple-a handful of strawberries, a bunch of blueberries and some milk or yogurt. Occasionally he adds honey as well. We've been buying up lots of berries and freezing them so our smoothies don't need ice.

Love this post--I'm looking forward to testing some of these recipes!

Aryn said...

I stole this recipe from Jamba Juice, then healthified it!

1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup-ish frozen strawberries (cut off the stems/leaves, but otherwise leave whole)
2 tablespoons frozen blueberries
2 heaping tablespoons thick plain yogurt.

It makes about a 16 ounce glass - enough for one.

I use whole milk yogurt for extra thickness and fat so I stay fuller longer. I also add 1 scoop of protein powder for extra vitamins and to stay fuller longer. If you use the protein powder, put in everything except the yogurt and mix it up. Add the yogurt and give it a quick mix.

BlessedBlogger said...

1700 or 213 a serving
Makes 8 servings

Bananas x 8 (Peeled, Broken into pieces & Frozen) - 960
4 cups Soy Milk - 440
4 tbsp Agave Nectar - 240
4 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 60
4 cups Ice - 0

Place everything in the blender and pulse until smooth. Bananas are amazing frozen because when you grind them up they taste like ice cream.

Becca said...

Smoothies are easy once you get the hang of proportions! My husband and I split a smoothie made of 1 cup plain yogurt (no sugar added, no creepy sugar substitutes!), 2 pretty ripe bananas, and about 8 medium frozen strawberries. Throw in wheat germ or ground flax seed for a nutritional boost!

The ripeness of the bananas makes it plenty sweet without sweetener in the yogurt or other added sugar. It would be easy to switch out the berries for what you have on hand as well, yum!

Anonymous said...

My favorite smoothie:
1 banana (frozen in chunks or not)
1 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh berries)
2 packed cups clean spinach
1 cup orange/carrot juice
sprinkle of freshly ground flax seeds

Elizabeth said...

I basically use variations on a theme.
1 Banana
1/2 cup Berries or other fruit(preferably frozen or else it's kinda warm and icky)
1/2 cup yogurt Igreek is best!)
1/2 cup milk/soymilk/vanilla soymilk
Back when I used to do sparkpeople.com (best diet website EVER) it was my fave snack, you don't even know it's all diety.

Amy Reinink said...

1/2 c nonfat Greek yogurt

1/2 c milk

1-2 frozen bananas

Splash of vanilla

1/4 c Hershey’s cocoa powder

Sweetener of choice (I use a dash of Splenda)

1 TBSP peanut butter

Hershey’s syrup to taste

Blend in food processor or blender. Slurp frantically

Sancia said...

Banana - I'm a simple gal.
Just add 1 banana, 1/2 cup of milk and a small handful of ice; garnish with a strawberry.

Swayze said...

No yogurt in this one, but it really is my favorite smoothie:

- 5 bananas
- 1.5 cups of water

Delicious and satiating! You could also add a couple of handfuls of blueberries to jazz things up. :)


GrowingRaw said...

If you've got the berries, I've got the recipe. I actually made this one up on Sunday for the kids afternoon tea. They drank 2/3 cup each as it's rich, but their Dad happily scoffed the leftovers once he'd finished his:

1 1/2 cups mixed berries
1 cup vanilla yoghurt
1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
1 banana

This smoothie is super creamy so you can thin it out with water or ice cubes if you like. You can also add a tablespoon or two of cacao if you're looking for a lift in the morning - just don't give the cacao version to the kids or you will pay!

Anonymous said...

We make this in our home all the time and my 4 year old son can't get enough of it.

I buy the fruit fresh and freeze them for all year round.

Lowfat vanilla OR Greek plain yogurt
frozen banana chunks
frozen strawberries
frozen blueberries

Place in blender and mix till smooth

If we use plain yogurt, we will add in a splash of apple juice for sweetness. Honey works too!

chacha1 said...

Oooooh, I never thought of using Nutella in a smoothie. That sounds So Good.

Here's a refreshing alcoholic variation for those who like such things:

1 can pears in juice
1 shot pear liqueur or apple brandy
1 c. frozen berries

blend and enjoy responsibly. :-)

Anne Living Life said...

pineapple + coconut milk smoothie

1 small ripe banana
1 heaping cup fresh pineapple
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup lite coconut milk
Handful of ice
Drizzle honey

Sometimes I add an avocado for extra creaminess. So good!

MS said...

The first commenter suggested a "Green Monster", which is what I was going to suggest since I've been dying to try one for a while now. Here's the site with a bunch of different variations: http://greenmonstermovement.com/

I look forward to seeing some smoothie recipes here! :-)

Melynda said...

I am just now making smoothies for breakfast. I had thought it would be a great way to get more fruit and milk into my day. This post and the followup comments are great! Thanks everyone.


Mary said...

You can get one just like this at a fruit stand anywhere in Mexico:

enough milk to cover the banana
a dash of cinnamon
oats (optional)
ice (optional)

It's my absolute favorite!

MS said...

After making my own smoothie (frozen banana, fresh peach, fresh blueberries, plus Vega Health Optimizer powder), I remembered that I saw this post recently: http://www.thefrontburnerblog.com/2010/07/how-to-make-your-own-protein-powder-mix.html

It's a great tutorial on making your own protein powder to add to smoothies. Yay!

ErinM said...

My favorite:

1/2 frozen banana
frozen raspberries
vanilla yogurt
orange juice

I pretty much eyeball everything except the banana. Comes out great every time!

esther (ambitiousdeliciousness) said...

bananas + berries + milk = YUM!

Anonymous said...

Soft Tofu
Pumpkin Seeds
Some Soy milk as required

Peanut butter
(from my favourite sandwhich...)